Hello and Happy New Year. We had been looking forward to seeing you all in school in January 2021.
These are challenging times again and we will do our best to support all learners.
There is work on Google classroom. You need your child's Hwb email address and password. These were sent home at the end of term in packs. There are also allocated tasks on Purple Mash and the Active Learn site has Maths games on Abacus and Reading books on Bug Club.
BBC Bitesize is useful and CBBC will have Primary programmes from 11th January. Joe Wicks will be useful to help us stay physically active Mon/Wed/Fri from next week too. We can offer digital support as in previous lockdown.
There are many useful website links in the document below-some for learning and some for wellbeing.
We will be working hard to provide support for pupils with Additional Learning Needs (ALN).
We will share relevant resources and advice with you eg from LA Specialist Teachers, Educational Psychology Service, Casework and health by email, on Google classroom or on this website.
Meetings will be on Microsoft Teams and if we have your email address I can invite you. It is important to have parent/carer views as well as the pupil views.
Please email email@example.com if you have any queries or need help.
Mrs Routledge ALNCo
Additional Learning Needs (ALN) at Gabalfa Primary School
Welcome back to a new term in September 2020. We are pleased to see all our pupils.Please ring or email me if you need to. I have left all the useful LA documents from the past 6 months on this page. Our policies are also below.
- ALN reform is ongoing and at Gabalfa Primary we have had training about changes ahead
- We have been part of consultations and training events and Cluster meetings to be ready for ALNET ACT and new draft Code
- Staff and Governors have received training
- We are enhancing our inclusive practice with LA Individual Development Plans and One Page Profiles and we use Person Centred Practice in meetings
- We put the child and parent/carer at the centre of meetings and plans for provision
- We are an inclusive school and we strive to ensure all our pupils can access the curriculum whatever barriers to learning they may have.Children with Additional Needs (ALN) are supported by early identification and interventions. At Gabalfa Primary School we use a range of small group activities such as Wellcomm, Language Links, SAIL, Rapid Reading, Handwriting Motorway. We have experienced Teaching Assistants leading these groups.We work closely with Specialist teachers, Educational Psychologists, Health and other agencies following their advice with programmes and strategies to support pupils.
- Some pupils may have emotional health and well being (EHWB) issues and they are supported with provision such as SEAL, Place to Be and Nurture-style groups. Our ELSA works with individual pupils and groups. We also have Talkabout as a resource for emotional literacy. Lego Therapy and Build to Express is used to develop interaction and communication skills. PASS and THRIVE screening helps us plan for pupils' needs. We are also using restorative approaches and have 2 weekly check-in sessions with pupils to support their wellbeing.
- At Gabalfa we have a large number of pupils for whom English is an additional language (EAL). We value all languages and cultures and support pupils who are developing their English. Staff have had training on supporting pupils with EAL thus ensuring all pupils can progress and achieve well.
- We set a high challenge for all our pupils and our more able pupils also attain their targets becoming independent learners. We foster talent in our pupils with a wide range of clubs and activities and we celebrate their achievements.
- We strive to work with our families to support all our pupils. We have regular reviews of pupils and aim to work in partnership with parents/carers.
- Please contact Mrs Routledge (ALNCo) if you have any concerns about your child. I am available on the phone and can meet in between parent/carer consultation evenings
- There is a new Cardiff Council Helpline for parents/carers -see attached flyer
If you are home with a pupil with speech, language and communication needs this parent portal may be useful
It is from Speech Links @speechlink.
It includes tips and advice and resources
Have a look at https://speechandlanguage.info/parents
Disability Sports Directory
Vale of Glamorgan
This is a useful document outlining activities and contact details