Additional Learning Needs (ALN) at Gabalfa Primary School
Welcome back to a new term in September 2020. We are pleased to see all our pupils.Please ring or email me if you need to. I have left all the useful LA documents from the past 6 months on this page. Our policies are also below.
- ALN reform is ongoing and at Gabalfa Primary we have had training about changes ahead
- We have been part of consultations and training events and Cluster meetings to be ready for ALNET ACT and new draft Code
- Staff and Governors have received training
- We are enhancing our inclusive practice with LA Individual Development Plans and One Page Profiles and we use Person Centred Practice
- We put the child and parent/carer at the centre of meetings and plans for provision
- We are an inclusive school and we strive to ensure all our pupils can access the curriculum whatever barriers to learning they may have.Children with Additional Needs (ALN) are supported by early identification and interventions. At Gabalfa Primary School we use a range of small group activities such as Wellcomm, Language Links, SAIL, Rapid Reading, Handwriting Motorway. We have experienced Teaching Assistants leading these groups.We work closely with Specialist teachers, Educational Psychologists, Health and other agencies following their advice with programmes and strategies to support pupils.
- Some pupils may have emotional health and well being (EHWB) issues and they are supported with provision such as SEAL, Place to Be and Nurture-style groups. Our ELSA works with individual pupils and groups. We also have Talkabout as a resource for emotional literacy. Lego Therapy and Build to Express is used to develop interaction and communication skills. PASS and THRIVE screening helps us plan for pupils' needs. We are also using restorative approaches and have 2 weekly check-in sessions with pupils to support their wellbeing.
- At Gabalfa we have a large number of pupils for whom English is an additional language (EAL). We value all languages and cultures and support pupils who are developing their English. Staff have had training on supporting pupils with EAL thus ensuring all pupils can progress and achieve well.
- We set a high challenge for all our pupils and our more able pupils also attain their targets becoming independent learners. We foster talent in our pupils with a wide range of clubs and activities and we celebrate their achievements.
- We strive to work with our families to support all our pupils. We have regular reviews of pupils and aim to work in partnership with parents/carers.
- Please contact Mrs Routledge (ALNCo) if you have any concerns about your child. I am available on the phone and can meet in between parent/carer consultation evenings
If you are home with a pupil with speech, language and communication needs this parent portal may be useful
It is from Speech Links @speechlink.
It includes tips and advice and resources
Have a look at https://speechandlanguage.info/parents
Disability Sports Directory
Vale of Glamorgan
This is a useful document outlining activities and contact details