Additional Learning Needs (ALN) at Gabalfa Primary School
- ALN reform is happening and at Gabalfa Primary we have had training about changes.
- We have been part of consultations and training events and Cluster meetings to be ready for ALNET ACT and new draft Code
- We are enhancing our inclusive practice with Individual Development Plans and One Page Profiles
- We are an inclusive school and we strive to ensure all our pupils can access the curriculum whatever barriers to learning they may have.Children with Additional Needs (ALN) are supported by early identification and interventions. At Gabalfa Primary School we use a range of small group activities such as Wellcomm, Language Links, Rapid Reading, Handwriting Motorway. We have experienced Teaching Assistants leading these groups.We work closely with Specialist teachers, Educational Psychologists and many other agencies.
- Some pupils may have emotional health and well being (EHWB) issues and they are supported with provision such as SEAL, Place to Be and Nurture-style groups. Our ELSA works with individual pupils and groups. We also have Talkabout as a resource for emotional literacy. Lego Therapy and Build to Express is used to develop interaction and communication skills.
- At Gabalfa we have a large number of pupils for whom English is an additional language (EAL). We value all languages and cultures and support pupils who are developing their English. This year we have a team of staff including Mrs Pain and Mrs Khan ensuring all pupils can progress and achieve well.
- We set a high challenge for all our pupils and our more able pupils also attain their targets becoming independent learners. We foster talent in our pupils with a wide range of clubs and activities and we celebrate their achievements often.
- We strive to work with our families to support all our pupils. We have regular reviews of pupils and aim to work in partnership with parents/carers.
- Please contact Mrs Routledge (ALNCo) if you have any concerns about your child. I am available on the phone and can meet in between parent/carer consultation evenings
Disability Sports Directory:
Vale of Glamorgan
This is a useful document outlining activities and contact details